|Construction of canals in the Heinävesi waterways began in late 19th century. The first was the Karvio canal that opened the route from Kuopio to Heinävesi in 1896. Karvio was followed by Kerma, Vihovuonne and Pilppa in 1903-06 opening the route to Savonlinna. A connection to Lake Juojärvi was established in 1911-16, when the Varistaipale and Taivallahti canals were built. The Varistaipale canal has the greatest difference (14.5m) in water level of all the canals in Finland.
For further information about canals, please visit the Finnish Maritime Administration's pages.
Varistaipale canal museum
Objects related to the building and operating of the canal in Heinävesi are gathered and exhibited in Varistaipale canal at the canal warden's house. The museum is open daily between June 15th and August 15th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. At other times, please book in advance. Tel. +358 (0)20 448 3901
Wikipedia - Varistaipale canal